Homeopathy treatment for piles includes treatment of the causative factors. Homeopathy gently treats the symptoms in a permanent way. Homeopathy believes to treat “the cause of the disease rather than the disease”.
Piles are also known as Hemorrhoids.
In acute cases, the patient comes with symptoms of bleeding, pain, itching. It can be treated with homeopathy after taking a thorough case taking. Homeopathy helps to give a long term cure as it treats the underlying cause of the disease.
Homeopathy treatment not only reduces the symptoms but also gives long term relief and cure.
What are Piles/Hemorrhoids –
These are the swellings of enlarged blood vessels (hemorrhoidal plexus) that found inside or around the rectum and anus.
Today, approximately 50 to 60% of people have complaints of hemorrhoids in their lifetime between 45-65 years of age.
Abnormal changes in hemorrhoidal cushions (important for continence) causes hemorrhoids.
These are usually painful, but in many cases, maybe symptomless.
- Bleeding after passing stool which is usually bright red.
- Itching around the anus.
- Swelling outside the anus sometimes may need to be pushed back in after passing a stool.
- Mucus discharge after stool.
- Soreness, redness and swelling around the anus.
- In most of the cases, symptoms may get better without any treatment.
- Life-threatening complications are rare and uncommon in hemorrhoids.
- Many patients due to embarrassment seek treatment when it advances with complaints of severe pain and bleeding.
The exact cause of piles is not known, though it may be associated with increased pressure in the blood vessels in and around the anus. This pressure causes the blood vessels to become swollen and inflamed.
In many cases, it may be caused by too much straining while passing stool, due to prolonged constipation (due to lack of fibre-rich diet).
Chronic diarrhoea may also cause hemorrhoids.
Other factors that may cause piles to include:
- Overweight or obesity.
- Older age.
- Lack of fiber-rich food.
- Chronic cough.
- Absence of valves in hemorrhoidal veins.
- Pregnancy can increase pressure on pelvic blood vessels, causing them to enlarge.
- Family history of piles.
- Heavy weight lifters.
- Chronic cough or vomiting.
- Sitting down for a long time.
Prevention & treatment –
Piles often settle down after a few days, without any treatment.
Haemorrhoids during pregnancy often get better after delivery.
Changes in lifestyles and eating fiber-rich food can reduce the strain on the blood vessels in and around the anus. (fiber-rich sources are fruits, vegetables, wholegrain rice, whole wheat, pasta and bread, pulses and beans, seeds, nuts and oats)
- Drinking plenty of water.
- Avoiding caffeine and alcohol.
- Avoid straining for stool.
- Postponing the urge to stool can make stools harder and drier, (which can lead to straining when you do go to the toilet)
- Avoid medicines that cause constipation.
- Losing weight and exercise regularly.
- Exercise regularly.
- Use stool softeners for strain-free stool passing.
- Rest & Sitz baths.
- Hemorrhoidectomy, Stapling, Ligation, Freezing, Laser treatment.
They are of two types, internal or external. Many patients may have both internal as well as external hemorrhoids.
Internal Piles – develop in the upper two-thirds of your anus which are usually painless, accompanied by bright red bleeding which covers stool or blood drops on the toilet pot may be seen.
Sometimes a sticky mucosal discharge with stool may be there. Itching & involuntary stool might be present. Internal hemorrhoids are painful when they become thrombosed or necrotic.
External Piles – occurs in the lower third near the anal opening. These are painful hemorrhoids. The bleeding is usually dark. The thrombosed hemorrhoids are usually very painful but resolve in 2-3 days. Swelling subsides in a few weeks. There may be irritation with pricking and itching around the anus.
Piles can be further classified, depending on their size and severity. They can be:
- 1st degree – no prolapse, only prominent blood vessels. Small swellings appear on the inner lining of the anus and aren’t visible from outside the anus
- 2nd degree – prolapses after bearing down pressure but recedes back spontaneously.
- 3rd degree – prolapses when bearing down & need to be pushed back manually.
- 4th degree – prolapse of larger lumps that cannot be pushed back.
Many other problems related to the anus and rectum like fissure, fistula, abscess, colo-rectal cancer, colitis with IBD, etc must be differentiated with hemorrhoids as they have the same symptoms as of haemorrhoids.
5 Best Homeopathic Medicines for Piles –
Dry stools with sharp stitching pain in rectum. External piles with aggravated from walking and standing. Constipation with hard knotty stools. Burning in anus. First stool hard followed by soft stool. Piles during menopause. Feeling of small sticks in the rectum with soreness.
Rectal prolapse with sudden urging and insecurity. Stool accompanied by a mucous discharge. Haemorrhoids protrude like bunches of grapes. Burning in the rectum. Pain in rectum after passing stool. Constipation followed by loose watery stools. Piles get worse in hot damp weather and in summer.
This medicine is given in many disease conditions caused by modern lifestyles. Useful in persons with sedentary life and those who perform mental work and remain in stress and strain. Nux patient is irritable in nature. Constant uneasiness in rectum with blind bleeding piles. Spasms of the rectum with violent itching. Obstinate constipation accompanied by frequent urging.
Blind hemorrhoids with itching and sticking pain. No two stools are alike. Bleeding from rectum even after soft stool.
Bearing down sensation in rectum with pain and itching. External and internal piles that are sore, tenderly accompanied by burning and bleeding. Hemorrhoids during pregnancy. Diarrhea alternate with constipation. Involuntary stools followed by sneezing or laughing with very foul-smelling flatus.
Other Remedies –
Arsenic album, Arnica Montana, Calc fluor, Carbo veg, Causticum, Collinsonia, Hamamelis, Ignatia, Kali ars, Kali carb, Kali sulph, Lachesis, Nitric acid, Lycopodium, Nux vomica, Paeonia, Phosphorus, Sepia, and many more medicines are used to treat piles/haemorrhoids homeopathically depending upon the symptoms, constitution of the patient.
Homoeopathy can treat piles/haemorrhoids by mind method too. In this method, we strongly believe that all the diseases occurring in the human body are results of the disturbance at the psychodynamic levels. Strong and peculiar mental symptoms are used here to prescribe the exact similimum.
“I believe that human health is a precious thing which may not be compromised at any cost. That’s why I strongly believe in Homeopathy because it is so natural and NO harming side effects at all.”