Kidney stones are also known as renal calculi. The kidney acts as the filters of our body. The waste products in the blood are filtered and excreted in the form of urine by the kidneys. About 1 to 3 litres of urine is excreted daily by an adult. This usually depends upon the water intake, diet taken, physical exertion, temperature, climate, and environment.
Concentrated urine sometimes crystallizes the waste products inside the kidney, which becomes crystals and results in deposits. These are called kidney stones or renal calculi.
Nowadays, this is becoming a common problem.
Kidney stones are commonly made of calcium in combination with oxalate, phosphate or carbonate. Uric acid also makes about 10% of all stones and is more common in men.
Half of the cases of kidney stones occur in between 30 to 50 years of age. More prevalent in men than women.
What causes kidney stones?
The exact cause is unknown. Following factors are usually responsible for kidney stones.
- Drinking less water.
- Living in hot and dry climate areas.
- Repeated urinary tract infections.
- Some metabolic abnormalities.
- High protein diet with more salt intake.
- The increased amount of uric acid in the blood or urine.
- People with hypercalcemia (high calcium levels in the blood) may also suffer from kidney stones.
- Diabetes, high blood pressure, obesity, and ulcerative colitis can also, cause stones.
- Medicines like diuretics, antacids, calcium supplements when used for a long time.
- Some diseases of the small intestine increase the tendency to form calcium oxalate stones.
- Other factors include – hyperparathyroidism, gout.
- Immobilization – e.g. paraplegic patients, who are bedridden for a long time.
Small stones less than 3mm do not cause any symptoms usually. Stones more than 3mm can block the ureter causing pain and other symptoms.
- Kidney stone pain usually starts when the stone goes down in the ureter from the kidney.
- Pain occurs mostly in the lower back i.e. costovertebral region, which goes to the groin extending to the urethra and up to the testes.
- Pains are excruciating and intermittent in nature.
- Sometimes nausea and vomiting may also present during pain.
- Urinary tract infection accompanied by fever, bloody and turbid urine.
- Fever with shivering, chills, weakness, frequent desire for stools.
- Constant desire to urinate with painful urination, restlessness, bloody urine along with sweating.
- Stone in the kidney may not produce symptoms until they begin to move down the ureter.
Types of kidney stones –
- Uric acid stones.
- Calcium oxalate/phosphate stones.
- Struvite stones.
- Staghorn stones.
- cystine stones.
Clinical diagnosis of kidney stone is made on
- History by the patient.
- Physical examination.
- The course of the pain, its location, severity.
- Tenderness over the lower back especially on the kidney region.
Investigations – Urine examination (routine/micro), CBC, RFT, Serum calcium, are some lab tests to rule out kidney stones.
Apart from these, USG, IVP, CT scan also helps in the detection of stones.
General measures & treatment –
- Drinking plenty of fluids, 3 to 4 litres of water to keep urine diluted. Water is the best thing to drink if you have kidney stones.
- Do not ignore the urge to urinate.
- Avoid or lower down medicines like antacids, vitamin D3 supplements which cause kidney stones.
- Change in diet accordingly.
- Kidney stone diet – People with recurrent kidney stones should avoid milk, milk products, spinach, tomato, beets, peanuts, meat, eggs, sweet potato, cashew nuts, etc.
- Increase intake of lemon or lemonade.
- Limit consumption of soft drinks.
- Applying the hot pack on the painful area also reduces pain.
- Surgery (lithotripsy), if the kidney stones are bigger in size.
Complications of kidney stones –
- Hydronephrosis – occurs due to back-pressure causing renal enlargement.
- Pyelonephrosis – occurs when hydronephrosis becomes infected.
- Renal failure.
Can homeopathy remove kidney stones/renal calculi?
Yes. With homeopathic treatment, I have so far removed kidney stones up to 14mm size. Homeopathic medicines have shown great results in the ureter stones too. Homeopathic medicines help to dissolve kidney stones, to pass the stones fast.
What is kidney stone treatment without surgery?
Again Homeopathy is the answer.
Is there a permanent cure for kidney stones?
Yes, Homeopathy not only treats the disease but also removes the causative factors of the disease. Homeopathy treatment is effective for kidney stones.
Homeopathic treatment for kidney stones/renal calculi –
Homeopathy treats kidney stones in a natural, safe and gentle way. Homeopathic treats the patient depending upon his reaction regarding the complaints, his concerns, worries, fears, etc.
Apart from this, most striking, peculiar symptoms also help in the selection of proper medicine. In the case-taking, physical as well as the mental state of the patient is of immense importance to know the causative factors of the problem.
In this way, the homeopathic medicines cure the root cause of the disease. After a thorough analysis and evaluation of the case, medicine is given to the patient.
In homeopathy, there are no specific remedies as in other faculties of medicine. Homeopathic medicines are selected on the basis of cause, sensations, modalities of the complaints. Medicines are prescribed after the totality of symptoms and the constitution of the patient.
Best Homeopathic medicines to treat kidney stones/renal calculi are –
Berberis Vulgaris –
It is particularly indicated in urinary complaints and in gouty conditions. It causes inflammation of the kidneys and hematuria. Also indicated in rheumatic affections with urinary complaints. Radiating and wandering type of pains during renal colic. Soreness in the kidney region with pain in the bladder.
Frequent urination accompanied by burning in urethra. Sticking pain in the kidney region, radiating towards groin and testicles. Berberis vulgaris is used in left-sided kidney stones.
Benzoic acid –
It is mostly indicated in patients of uric acid diathesis with extremely offensive urine and gouty complaints. Renal insufficiency related to cystitis, nephritis, pyelonephritis. Left-sided pain particularly. Severe neuralgic pain from ureter to the urethra and spermatic cord. Digging, gnawing type of pain as if from nails.
Calcarea carb –
Chronic inflammation of the kidneys with pain in kidney region from stretching, riding, and at night. Suppression of urine with nephralgia. It is indicated in fair, fat, flabby patients. Hematuria, fetid, white sediments in urine with an irritable bladder.
Lycopodium is the best medicine indicated in right-sided kidney affections. Bubbling sensation in the region of kidneys with heat. Also has brilliant action in nephritis, pyelitis, pyelonephritis.
Pain in back & urethra before and during urination, sometimes accompanied by retention. Severe right-sided pain in ureteric calculi. Red sand in urine is often visible. Urination with straining.
An intolerable, constant desire for urination is the keynote symptom of cantharis. Inflammation of bladder & kidneys with dysuria. Violent burning pain in renal region. Burning in urethra before, during and after urination.
These are prominent remedies only to treat kidney stones. Several other medicines used in treatment for kidney stones are –
Pareira brava, Sarsaparilla, Lithium carb, Sepia, Silicea, Tabacum, Phosphorus, Sulphur, Zincum met, and many more.
“I believe that human health is a precious thing which may not be compromised at any cost. That’s why I strongly believe in Homeopathy because it is so natural and NO harming side effects at all”.